When purchasing licenses for your Office 365 or Dynamics 365 Online account, you’ll have some options. If you are currently on a trial, you can convert a trial account to a paid subscription or you can purchase each license and assign them to each user. You will need a credit card on hand when purchasing licenses. Jump to the following sections to learn more:
- Purchasing licenses
- Managing subscriptions
- Adding users
- Using bulk add
- Deleting a user account
- Assigning licenses
Tip! PowerObjects recommends you purchase your licenses before adding users. This way, as you add users, you can assign them licenses as part of the process when setting up your account.
To purchase licenses in the Microsoft Office 365 Portal, you must be a global or billing administrator for your company’s account.
1. In the Admin center, click purchase services on the left-hand side. On this page, you will be able to purchase your Dynamics 365 Online and Office 365 licenses by clicking Buy now.
2. Customize your order by entering your address, then selecting the number of users you’d like to order. Once you have the number of licenses you want, click next. Now click Place Order.
3. Follow the three steps Microsoft lays out for you to purchase your licenses. If you would like to add more licenses or purchase more licenses or add other Office 365 plans to your subscription, you can do so in the purchase services section in the admin center.
Tip! To drop a license or subscription from your account, you will need to open a service request ticket with Microsoft. You’ll want to open the ticket under the billing department.
If you are on an Office 365 trial or have already purchased licenses, you can manage your subscription in the Microsoft Office 365 Portal.
On the left-hand side of the Admin Center, click Licensing. This will show your Office 365 and Dynamics 365 Online subscriptions. By clicking any of your subscriptions, you can do the following:
- View billing
- Turn auto-renew on or off
- Edit payment details
- Set Partner of Record
1. To add a user to Office 365, navigate to users on the left side. Then click the Active Users. Then + Add a User.
2. Fill in the user’s actual name, the name you want to be displayed to everyone, and the username (for example, if you wanted to make firstname.lastname@example.org, you would put Dan in the username field.) Then choose your organization from the drop-down list next to the username field.
Note: There is an option to bulk upload users via an import. Find this option under the More menu.
3. Fill in the user’s Contact Information.
4. Under the Password section choose if you will Auto-generate a password or Let me create the password, and if you want to Make this user change their password when they first sign in.
5. In the Roles section you can choose one of three options:
- User (no administrator access) – this option means the user will have no access to the Office 365 admin center.
- Global administrator – This user will have access to all the features in the admin center and can create other global admin users.
- Customized administrator – Selecting this option will open a new drop down list where you can select which role(s) they will have to manage speicific areas of Office 365.
6. Under the Product Licenses section – assign a Dynamics 365 license if this user will be accessing Dynamics 365.
7. Once fished filling in all the information for the user select Add.
1. On the Users and Groups page, click the More menu and select import multiple users.
2. Select the CSV file you’d like to import the bulk file from. After the CSV file is ready to be uploaded, browse for the file then click Next.
3.On the Settings page, click Next. On the Assign licenses page, click Submit.
Note: If you try to bulk edit your own user details, you’ll see a warning stating “You can’t edit yourself through bulk edit.”
On the Users and Groups page, you’ll see all users added to your account.
Use the search box to find the name of the user you wish to remove. When you have found the user, check the box to the left of their name and in the users’ pane click Delete user.
The system will ask you if you are sure you wish to delete the user. If you are sure, click Yes, and that user will be removed from the system. You can delete multiple users at the same time by clicking multiple check boxes. Once deleted, you will still be paying for the deleted user’s subscription. You will need to open a Service Request Ticket with Microsoft to deactivate the paid subscription.
Using this same methodology, you can also edit user settings and reset user passwords.
Note: you can restore deleted user accounts in the Deleted Users section in the user and group’s page.
Assigning licenses can be done while adding users, or you can click on the specific user you want to assign a license to. To do this, in the Admin Center, click users and groups then click on the user you want to assign the license to.