Mobile Friendly Options in Dynamics 365
Mobile capability is no longer an optional feature in today’s world. With over half of internet usage happening on mobile devices the demand for mobile friendly options in Dynamics 365 has increased. Access Dynamics 365 on phones or tablets with the use of mobile apps, or run the web client on the device’s preferred browser. With this mobile functionality sales and customer service reps can be tapped into their daily Microsoft Dynamics 365 solution to check dashboard analytics, enter a new lead, move an opportunity down the sales pipeline from anywhere.
Tip! Power Apps are yet another option for mobile friendly pairings with Dynamics 365. Build apps in hours — not months, with Power Apps.
Installing Dynamics 365 for Phones and Tablets
Some prerequisites need to be in place before using the mobile functionality. Mobile support requires Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online Fall 2013 or later, and for on-premises installations that they are an Internet-facing deployment. Make sure your device meets the requirements for the mobile apps by checking the compatibility of your device on Technet. Also, your users will need to have the correct privileges assigned to their security role in order to use the mobile apps.
Next, download the appropriate app, either Dynamics 365 for Phones, or Dynamics 365 for Tablets, from your device’s app store. Once you’ve downloaded the app, you’ll need your Microsoft Dynamics 365 web address, username, and password to connect to your organization. To sign out, simply tap Settings and tap Sign Out.
If your organization isn’t on Dynamics 365 yet you may be able to use an earlier version called CRM for Phones Express. Learn more about Mobile Express here.
The first thing you see when you log in from your phone or tablet is the Workspace pane. Think of this as your launch pad to get you to your most common tasks quickly.
- At the bottom of the screen, you’ll be able to quickly create new activities, records, and notes.
- The column to the left gives you a list of “intelligent cards” or priority items that may require you to take some kind of action.
- The column on the right is a combination of your favorites and recently accessed records, views, and dashboards.
- Clicking the star icon on any recent item will add it to your favorites.
- Refresh the page by clicking the refresh icon or close out the workspace pane by clicking the X
Closing the Workspace will take you to your home page which is your most recent dashboard. The navigation bar across the top of the app looks similar to the navigation bar in the web client.
- The menu allows you to choose which record type you want to work with. This is also where you can change dashboards by choosing a different dashboard from the Dashboards menu option.
- This is your Hompepage icon. Clicking this will return you to your most recent dashboard.
- This icon will open your Workspace again.
- Search for records.
- This icon will take you to the last screen you were on.
- The command bar allows you to add new records, change views, or do other tasks. The command bar is dynamic so the available commands will change depending on where you are in the app.
The forms used for phones and tablets use the same forms as the web app, they are just optimized for a mobile experience. One thing to note, however, is there is no capability to switch between forms. If you have more than one form for an entity the one displayed depends on the form order set and which security roles are assigned to the form. When customizing a form administrators can choose to hide fields, sections, and entire tabs from the mobile experience.
- Quickly navigate to a specific section on the form
- Scroll left or right to navigate the forms other sections
- Use the plus sign to quickly add activities to a record.
Use the camera on your device to interact with records in Dynamics 365. On the Notes tab, you have a camera option to instantly add a photo to your note. If you’re out at a site and need to document an issue, you can capture it and add it to a note right away.
Or use your camera to capture a barcode to save time in typing out complex product information. Any field that you see with the barcode icon in it means you can click it to launch the scanner. Important to note with this feature is that a system administrator has to enable the use of barcodes for that field and enable it for mobile or tablet devices.
There are two options for working offline depending on how things are configured. Offline may look a little different than your online experience since charts and some images aren’t available offline.
- Seamless mobile offline synchronization – View edit and created records while disconnected from the Internet. Once a connection is reestablished, changes made are synchronized with Dynamics 365.
- Offline drafts – this is the default configuration. The app will keep records you’ve accessed recently, so you can still access them when diconnected. New information can be created by creating drafts. Then once a connection is reestablished, simply save your offline draft records one at a time.
Use a Browser for Non-Mobile Features in Dynamics 365
There are some features that aren’t available in Dynamics 365 for phones and tablets. If you need to utilize these features or want to view a record in the web application instead, use your device’s browser to access Dynamics 365 instead of the app. Also, if you’re using the Dynamics 365 for Tablets app, you’ll notice a command bar function called Open in Browser. You can use this at any time to open a record in the web client interface on your device. This feature is only available in the Tablet app.
The features not available in the app for phones and tablets are listed below:
- Yammer and activity feeds
- Bing Maps integration
- Parature, from Microsoft knowledge base integration.
Cortana Voice Commands and Windows 8 and Windows 10 Devices
If you’re using a Windows 8.1 phone or later you can use Cortana voice commands when working with Dynamics 365 data.
You can pin as many tiles as you want to the pinned tiles section of your home screen or to the start screen or menu of your Windows 8 or Windows 10 devices. From the command bar while viewing a record, choose Pin to Start. The record will now be an option from your pinned items.
Mobile Solutions by PowerObjects
For those interested in exploring mobile solutions for Microsoft Dynamics 365, PowerObjects offers custom mobile solutions services as well. You can learn more on our website and even download a whitepaper on rolling out a custom mobile app for Microsoft Dynamics 365 tailored to your organization’s needs.
Become a CRM Administrator
For a more formal introduction into becoming a CRM administrator, check out Dynamics 365 University’s CRM Boot Camp for Dynamics 365.