The integration of Skype for Business or Skype with Microsoft Dynamics 365 provides users a much simpler way to interface with coworkers and clients. Skype allows for internal communication between users in the same enterprise as well as external communication between users and Contacts in their CRM.
When all people involved in the communication have the respective client applications installed, the “Click to Call” functionality is enabled. This functionality allows a CRM user to click on a phone number field in CRM, which will then query either the Lync or Skype client application on the end user’s machine to open the integrated technology and call the selected phone number.
Skype and Microsoft Dynamics 365
Integrating with Skype is extremely simple.
Step 1: Install the Client
To get started, the Skype for Business client, Skype for Windows desktop client, or the Skype for Windows 10 app needs to be installed on the end user’s machine.
- For Skype for Business, your organization must have one of the following products or subscriptions: Skype for Business, Skype for Business Server 2015, Microsoft Lync Server 2013, Microsoft Lync Server 2010.
- To get Skype, head over to http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/. Install Skype, and the “Click to Call” technology will be good to go on the client side automatically.
Step 2: Configure CRM
The next step is to tell CRM which integrated technology you are going to associate with your CRM. To do this, log in with your administrator account.
- In the Navigation Pane, click Settings.
- Under System, click Administration, and then click System Settings.
- On the General tab, under Set the telephony provider, for Select provider for Click to Call, select Skype or Skype for Business/Lync.
Now when you click on a phone number in CRM, it will load the respective client and make the call.
Note: The phone number must be formatted properly in CRM for Skype to properly provide the “Click to Call” functionality. The format must be Country/Region Code–Area Code–Phone Number.