Users in Microsoft Dynamics 365 are individuals who have specific logins and passwords and a set of attached privileges at various access levels. Each user can have one or more security roles but each user should belong to at least one security role to be able to access Dynamics 365. In the case of conflict between two roles, the least restrictive role will be upheld. Each user is part of a business unit and can be assigned to only one business unit.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 provides the following functionality for user maintenance:
- Creating Users
- Creating Teams
- Enabling and disabling Users
- Assigning Security Roles to Users
- Identifying managers for Users
- Assigning Users to Teams
Single users or multiple users can be added. For creating a single user:
- On the top navigation bar, click on the drop down arrow next to the displayed module and click Settings.
- Click on Security and then Users.
- On the command bar, select New.
Note: Instructions will vary depending on whether or not you are on a Microsoft Dynamics 365 On Premise or Online environment.
Creating a User in a Microsoft Dynamics 365 On Premise environment
- Enter the domain logon name.
- Choose the relevant business unit for the user from the lookup.
- Select the E-mail access type.
- Select the Access Mode.
- Select the License Type.
Creating a User in a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Online environment
- Enter the Office 365 Admin Center.
- Click Add a user.
- Enter user information.
- Click Add.
- Click Send email and close.
Remember: You can only disable user records; they can’t be deleted. Before disabling a record, ensure all the records owned by this user need to be assigned to another user.
Use the links below to explore business administration in Dynamics 365 in more detail: