Jump to the following sections to learn more:
- HTML web resources
- Data Validation
- Process enhancement and enforcement
You’ll want to configure commands for the controls you add to the ribbon command. There are three items that the ribbon command delineates:
- Enabling rules
- Displaying rules
Tip! Take a look at the MSDN resource: Write Code for Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forms for more information.
You have the ability to delineate at what point ribbon elements are enabled. The <EnableRule> (RibbonDiffXml) element is used as follows:
- Use the /RuleDefinitions/EnableRules/EnableRule element to define rules controlling when the ribbon element should be enabled.
- Use the /CommandDefinitions/CommandDefinition/EnableRules/EnableRule element to associate specific enable rules to a command definition.
Tip! A list of enabling rules can be located in the MSDN developer network: Define Ribbon Enable Rules
You also have the ability to delineate at what point ribbon elements are displayed.
- Use the /RuleDefinitions/DisplayRules/<DisplayRule> (RibbonDiffXml) element to define rules controlling when the ribbon element should be displayed.
- Use the /CommandDefinitions/CommandDefinition/DisplayRules/<DisplayRule> (RibbonDiffXml) element to associate specific display rules to a command definition.
Tip! A list of enabling rules can be located in the MSDN developer network: Define Ribbon Display Rules
Finally, you also have the ability to delineate the actions performed by a ribbon control in a <CommandDefinition> (RibbonDiffXml) element together with rules that control whether the control is enabled or visible in the ribbon.
A ribbon control can perform two types of actions and may include multiple actions:
- Open a URL: The ribbon opens a URL using the value from an Address attribute in the <Url> (RibbonDiffXml) element. Additional parameters can pass information about how what query string parameters are passed and the mode in which the window opens.
Tip! You have several options to pass parameters to a URL using the ribbon. For more information, see Pass Parameters to a URL By Using the Ribbon
- Customize the Ribbon (MSDN developer network resource)
- Web Resources for Microsoft Dynamics CRM (MSDN developer network resource)