Classify Products in Dynamics 365 Using Product Properties
Product Properties allow for classification of products. Adding a product property of size, color, or component will help your users find the exact products with the right specifications for customers.
Why add Product Properties on the Product Family rather than the Product?
The advantage to adding Product Properties at the Product Family level is that when a Product is added to the Product Family, the properties created on the Product Family will be inherited on the Product. This eliminates the need to add properties to each Product in the Family Hierarchy, resulting in reduced setup time. Note that the Product Properties inherited from the Product Family can be modified at the Product level using the OVERRIDE functionality.
What are the benefits of using Product Properties?
There are several benefits to creating Product Properties:
- Properties defined at the Product Family level are inherited by the child Product records, reducing the need to re-create the properties for each individual child Product.
- Properties attached to the Product carry over to the Opportunity when the Product is added.
- If necessary, Product Properties may be modified to fit the specific Opportunity to which they have been added.
- Properties can be set to Read-Only when modifications are not allowed at the time of setup.
- Properties can be set to Required when necessary at the time of setup.
How to Add Product Properties
Product Properties can be added to the Product Family. The steps below guide users through adding Product Properties to a Product Family.
- Go to Settings > Product Catalog.
- View more on the Product Catalog here.
- Select Families and Products from the four options.
- If a new Product Family is required, select ADD FAMILY from the Command Bar, as shown below. Next, open the Product Family for which product properties are to be added.
- Once the Product Family record is open, verify that the Status is set to Draft or Under Revision. If the Status is Active, select REVISE from the Command Bar to set the Status to Under Revision.
- Add Product Properties by selecting the + located on the right side of the screen directly above the Product Properties grid.
- Create the Product Property record by completing the following fields, based on whether the Property should be Read-Only, Required, and/or Hidden:
- Continue creating the Property record by completing the Property Type section. Select the appropriate Data Types, as shown below:
|Option Set||Allows the addition of option set items from which the user may select. To add items to the option set, save the Property record to enable the Property Option Set Items section. Add values by selecting the + located just above the grid (1 in the screenshot below). Enter the Name and the Description (2). Continue adding values as needed.
When the Option Set Items have been added, a Default Value (3) may be selected.
|Floating Point Number
|Single Line Of Text||
- Continue adding Properties to the Product Family by repeating steps 5 – 7. The completed Product Family record will look similar to the one displayed below.
- Publish the Product Family record by selecting one of the two options from the Publish drop-down located on the Command Bar.
Sales in Dynamics 365
If you want more information on opportunities in Dynamics 365, check out Dynamics 365 University’s Sales for Dynamics 365.