Customizing entities includes adding fields to entities, changing the schema and creating custom entities. An entity can also be defined as an activity entity.
Creating a custom entity
- On the left navigation pane, click on the Settings, Customizations and then Customize the System. (If you have created a solution, then click on that solution and proceed from there.)
- In the page that opens, click on Entities under Components, and then hit New.
- Fill in the Display Name, the Plural Name (the name that shows in the navigation pane), and indicate whether the entity will be owned by a user or team/organization (ownership).
- If the entity is an Activity entity, check the box Define as an Activity entity.
- In the Areas that display this entity, you can select the tabs within which this entity will be listed.
- Select the required options for the entity and save it.
Modifying the schema
- Within Customizations, click on Forms for the entity which you want to modify. Open the Main Form Type.
- You can select the part of the form that you want to modify in the Select section of the ribbon.
- To add fields, drag and drop them from the right pane onto the form.
- Fields that are not required can be removed by clicking on the Remove button in the Edit section of the ribbon.
- If you click on the Insert tab above the ribbon, you’ll see the option to add sections and tabs and control other elements of the form.
- You can add fields from here as well by clicking on the New Field button below the Field Explorer pane.