Entitlements in Microsoft Dynamics 365 are used to define the kind of support customers are eligible for. Entitlements help customer service representatives verify what kind of support customers are eligible for and create cases for them based on the entitlement terms.
Entitlement can be created for different customers or types of customers. A customer’s support level can vary based on the product or service the customer has purchased. Customers who have purchased different products can be entitled to different support levels. They can be defined with terms based on the number of cases or number of service hours that the customer is eligible for.
To learn more about Entitlements in Dynamics 365, jump to the following sections:
Entitlements can be created by navigating to Settings > Service Management > Entitlements > New.
- Fill in all business required fields. Once Saved, you can choose to define Entitlement Channels, Products, and Contacts that are eligible for the entitlement.
- Name – What’s the name of this entitlement
- Primary Customer – Associate an existing Account or Customer record with this specific entitlement
- Start Date – The date the entitlement is effective from
- End Date – The date the entitlement will expire
- Restrict based on entitlement terms – To prevent the creation of cases when the terms of the entitlement are not met, set the field to Yes
- Owner – The default is whoever creates the entitlement
- Allocation Type – Choose between number of cases or number of hours
- Decrease Remaining On – Choose when to decrement the terms of the entitlement on case creation or resolution
- Set the total terms of the entitlement defining how many cases, or how many hours of support are the customer is entitled to
- Define the Entitlement Channel to track which channels your customers can reach out to you for support. Use the + icon on the subgrid to add the channel and amount allocated for that channel. For example, perhaps we prefer the customer submit cases via e-mail so we set 20 cases via the e-mail channel and only 10 via the phone channel
- Optionally, associate a product to an entitlement. Click the + icon on the product sub-grid and search for existing products to add the product or products that apply to this entitlement. If you don’t associate a product the customer is entitled to support for all products
- If an Entitlement is restricted to specific contacts that can request support you can list them in the Contacts sub-grid. To add Contacts click the + icon and search for all contacts associated with the Account. If you don’t list any contacts, all contacts are allowed to request support
- Once the Entitlement is configured select the Activate button from the command bar to enable this entitlement. If an entitlement is not activated it can’t be utilized, and activated entitlements can’t be edited. However, entitlements can be deactivated if they need to be edited.
A final note on Entitlement creation is that we can also create entitlement templates to facilitate a framework for creating new entitlements quickly and ensure that some defaults are set for consistent entitlement creation. Templates are optional but can be helpful if entitlements need to be created frequently.
Entitlements have multiple statuses. When entitlements are first created they are in a draft status. Draft status entitlements are able to be edited, but cannot be associated with cases.
If an entitlement is activated but has a start date in the future it will have a status of Waiting until the start date is reached. Waiting entitlements cannot be edited, and cannot have cases associated with it.
Entitlements that are activated and are within the start and end date for the entitlement will have a status of Active. Active entitlements cannot be edited, and cases can be associated with the entitlement.
Once the end date has passed on an entitlement the status of the record will be Expired. Expired entitlements cannot be edited, no cases can be added to it, and they have the ability to be renewed.
At any time an entitlement can be canceled. Canceled entitlements cannot be edited, cannot be associated with cases, but they can be renewed.
Choosing to Renew an entitlement will cause Dynamics 365 to look at the terms of the entitlement that is selected and populate a new entitlement with that information. The date range will be evaluated and the new range will be set for the new time frame. For example, if the original entitlement had a date range of three months, a renewed entitlement will be automatically set to be three months. All of these terms can, of course, be edited before being activated, but a renewal can save time.
When on a case form the Entitlement field is a Lookup field. The Lookup will look for active entitlements that are associated with the customer on the case.
The Entitlement section on the case form will also show the customer service representative a quick look at the terms of the entitlement for the customer.