Microsoft Dynamics CRM email templates and the mail merge functionality are helpful tools for mass emails and mass mailers. These tools are typically used by marketing and sales groups. Mail merge and email merge allow you to pull CRM data, such as a person’s name, into an email, letter or fax. Using the merge functionality allows you to personalize the message. There are four ways to select the recipients of the activity:
- From any view
- Pull an advanced find
- From a marketing campaign or quick campaign
- Automatically send the email by using a workflow
There are system email templates (public) and personal email templates (private). Email templates are typically associated with one record type.
Learn more about working with Microsoft Dynamics CRM email templates:
If you create a personal email template, you will be the only person who can see it and use it. Here’s how to do it:
- On the nav bar, on the top right select Settings and select Options. This will open a new window.
3. Within the new window, navigate to the E-mail Templates tab.
4. To create a new template, click New. A new window will pop open.
5. Select which record type you want to associate with the template. Global means that you will be able to do a merge from any type of record, but you will not be able to merge fields from the specific record.
7. Now you’ll create the actual template using the instructions below for Constructing an Email Template
Creating a system template will make it available to the whole organization. Here’s how:
1. In the nav bar, go to the Settings–>Templates
2. To add a new template, select New. This will open a new window where you select the template type. This is the same process as when you create a personal template.
5. Use the drop down list to select the Template Type.
6. Click OK to start a new template.
Whether you are creating a personal template or a system template, the process for constructing a template is the same.
1. Enter a title, description, and subject for your email template. The title is the name of the template for internal use, and you can add a description so that other users know what it is used for. The subject is the subject line of the email, which will be seen by the recipient.
2. To add a merge field, on the top of the window, click Insert/Update. A Data Field Values dialog box will open.
3. In the new window, Data Field Values, click Add to add more values to the list. Another new window will open, called Add Data Value.
4. Select the value you want to include in the email and click OK.
5. When you are satisfied with your e-mail template, at the top of the screen, select Save & Close.
Tip! If you need a more robust email template functionality, check out PowerMailChimp’s awesome template editor!
- First, you should create a Campaign Activity with the Channel of E-mail. (Learn more about creating campaign activities).
- On the ribbon of the campaign activity record, click Distribute Campaign Activity. A new window called New E-mails will open.
3. To add a template to the emails, check the Use Template check box.
4. Click the look up button, and the Select Template dialog window will open.
5. Select which template you would like to use.
6. Click OK to return to the distribute process.
7. Fill out the remaining criteria before clicking Distribute to send the template.
You can send direct emails and use an email template from any view or advanced find.
- Pull your advanced find
- On the ribbon, within the advanced find window, select Send Direct Mail. A new dialog window called Send Direct E-mail will open.
- On this new window you can select the template that you want to use. There are also options for which contacts you want to email.
- When you are ready to send the emails, click the Send button. WARNING: Clicking Send immediately sends the Emails